Thursday, March 22, 2012

Your Grammar is Attractive

So lately I've been really attracted to guys who can spell properly, who know the difference between you're and your, even their/they're/there...is that weird? I hope not. I mean, there are some guys who are attractive like so (referring to the picture of Daniel Radcliffe) and then there are those who I see spelling properly and they go up in my books, although I don't doubt for a second that Mr. Radcliffe has perfect grammar.

Is it too much to ask for? Why can't everyone just learn these things? Maybe that's why I find people more attractive when they use grammar correctly, because when I see "your good" or "your welcome" IT MAKES ME ANGRY and sad, and I get really upset for no reason.

So yeah, just learn guys. Just learn. I think there should be a "teach your friend" day where we each post on our statuses the difference between each. Like so...

YOUR -- "your" as the possessive form of you, referring to something that a person has, something that belongs to the person in question, or the person you are talking to.
YOU'RE (You are) --"you're" is a contraction of "you are".

THERE -- Use there when referring to a place, whether concrete ("over there by the building") or more abstract ("it must be difficult to live there")
THEIR -- Use their to indicate possession. It is a possessive adjective and indicates that a particular noun belongs to them.
THEY'RE (They are) -- Remember that they're is a contraction of the words they and are.

I can't believe they're leaving their children there, alone!
(Above Examples courtesy of Wikipedia)

They are the main culprits, and if you have more then please add them on in the comments.

I don't hate you if you are getting these wrong, I just want you to learn them so that I don't have to hate you, but as soon as you know them they'll stick with you forever. And then I can love you. TIP: When writing Facebook statuses and tweets, please just look over it...perhaps read it aloud, if you do spell something incorrectly then your credibility goes down. It really does!

Do any of you guys know how I feel?

1 comment:

  1. "Just between you and I," or "The police arrested Tom and I" -- would you say the police arrested I? As for lay vs lie, I'm giving up. No one cares. I'm okay with ending your sentences with prepositions, but nuke-you-ler sets my teeth on edge, and jew-luh-ree and reeeeeal-a-ter (REE-ul-ter.) Bad grammar is harder on the ears than the eyes, I think.

    ReplyDelete