Thursday, March 8, 2012

Little One


I see your face through bars of steel                                                    
The cold cement chills your body
Come with me Little One for a brand new world awaits

Your vacant stare at life so cruel
Abuse that crushed your spirit still fresh in your mind
Reach for me Little One for a gentle hand awaits you.

The tail that once moved with such joy
Is now tucked between shaking legs
Touch me Little One for kindness awaits you.

Your broken spirit, leave behind
As we begin life’s walk together
Trust me Little One for a peaceful home awaits you.

Our lives have been joined for a reason
Find comfort and safety at my side
Live with me Little One for together we are strong and love awaits us.

Arlene R. O’Neil
© 2004
I wrote "Little One" back in 2004 when I was more involved with dog rescue. My writing, filled with the emotions that I felt trying to find homes, or dealing with the abuse that I saw, still fill my heart today.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful poem! As the Mom of a rescue shelter dog, I can definitely relate!

    ReplyDelete