Friday, January 18, 2013

My First Love



Fantasy. Stripped to its most basic definition, it’s the activity of imagining things that are improbable. Even someone who doesn’t enjoy reading this genre can appreciate how exciting the idea is – imagining the impossible. And for those who do read it… oh, the places it will take you. Fiction is a vehicle to escapism, but fantasy, in my opinion, is escapism in its most vibrant and enchanting form.
Some may not agree, and to each his own. But from the moment I watched my first fantasy movie, I was forever changed. Or maybe I should say inspired. I think my love for this genre has always been inside me, it just took a catalyst to help me realize it. The movie? The Last Unicorn. And it was all over from there.
From there on out all of my toys were either flying horses and unicorns, or anything to do with Rainbow Brite and her rainbow-striped horse. To hold on to my nostalgia a little longer, my love flickered brighter when exposed to The Chronicles of Narnia books by C.S. Lewis. Talk about capturing my attention – witches, talking animals, and minotaurs, oh my! And I need to take a moment to thank my Aunt Becky for that. One summer she took me to the library and checked out all the books so I could read them.
As I grew older, many more movies and books enchanted me – The Never Ending Story, The Lord of the Rings, I even still enjoy Disney movies that have a touch of fantasy like The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, and the most recent one would be Brave. It wasn’t until last year, though, that I created a fantasy story of my own. It’s more of a Paranormal Romance/ Urban Fantasy but is definitely a product of imagining the impossible. And while I will always have an affinity for all things mystical and whimsical, I do still enjoy stories in other genres with well-rounded, thoughtful storylines. But I can never deny that fantasy was my first, and most captivating, love.
Susan James Pierce              

Pick-up a copy of my Urban Fantasy novel “Marked forVengeance” on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment