Saturday, November 2, 2013

Why I Write Romance Novels




By Donna Fasano
I can’t tell you how many times over the course of my 20-plus year career as a published romance author I have been asked, “When are you going to write a real book? You know, a [insert genre of choice: mystery, historical, thriller, etc].” So I’d like to take this opportunity to tell readers why I write romance novels.
I suffered a lot of tragedy while I was growing up, the worst of which was the death of my mother just as I was entering my teens. I felt as though I went from 13 to 35 overnight, and when my friends were off having fun, I was cooking and cleaning and helping my little brother with his homework. Romance novels were an escape for me. The Wolf and the Dove, The Far Pavilions, Whitney My Love, Rebecca, The Thorne Birds…if the book featured one man and one woman falling in love, I read it! Romance novels offered me hope for a happy future filled with love (hokey, maybe, but I was a naïve teen). As a young wife and mother, I discovered Silhouette Romance Novels. These books were short and sweet and uplifting. Each and every story put a smile on my face, and the happily-ever-after endings always boosted my spirits. Are romance novels real? No. Does every real-life relationship end in HEA? Of course not. But if I wanted doom and gloom, I’d watch the evening news.
As an author, I can’t think of a better way to use my talent than to bring pure enjoyment to my readers. I tell people that I write cotton candy for the mind. Think about that. When you were a kid and you put a small cloud of that wispy confection on your tongue, what did you do? You smiled. And maybe you even laughed. That’s the reaction I’m going for with my short, upbeat stories. That’s why I write romance novels. So if you’re looking to get lost for a few hours in a fun, cheery story, I hope you’ll try one of my books.
~ ~ ~
Donna is a bestselling, award-winning author of over 30 novels that have sold over 3.6 million copies worldwide. You can find her on the web at www.DonnaFasano.com, or on Facebook  or Twitter.
 Her books are available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony, and Apple iBooks.
~  ~  ~

Exciting news! Donna has a new 3-book series available. The Single Daddy Club is about 3 buddies who have been friends since college and are now single and raising children. They vow to support one another…any way they can. (Of course, love will find each and every single dad before this series ends. They don't call it happily-ever-after for nuthin'!) Look for The Single Daddy Club in Amazon's Kindle Store, in the Nook Book Store, at Kobo Books, and on iTunes.

If you prefer to read your books in paperback, Donna has a brand new one available this month: Her Fake Romance. The female protagonist in this book is a caterer, and there are several delicious recipes included as bonus material.

If you prefer audio books, Donna has a brand new offering – her very first audio edition – The Merry-Go-Round, available at Audible.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment