Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Seconds Apart (a Review)

                                                                            
A review by John Mountain
Directed by Antonio Negret
Written by George Richards

I've known at least two sets of identical twins in my lifetime. One set were brothers, the other sisters. The brothers lived in my neighborhood; the sisters were two girls I knew in school. To be quite honest with you, even though I don't creep out very easily, there was always something about them that I found somewhat...eerie. With the two sisters especially I always got the impression that one knew what the other was thinking and vice versa. As I got older I even began to suspect that one sister knew when the other was having an orgasm, but you could probably chalk that up to the perverted mind of a teenage boy.
Edmund and Gary Entin play identical twins with the power of telekinesis. These two bring a whole new meaning to the expression 'creepy little bastards.' To even wonder whether they use these powers for good is a complete waste of thought. They videotape their crimes and re-watch to see if they feel anything at the moment of their victim’s deaths. I wondered throughout the entire movie just what it was that they wanted to feel. Was it remorse? Was it pain? Personally for these two telekinetic terrors satisfaction for a job well done would be the acceptable emotion.
Orlando Jones is Detective Lampkin. Detective Lampkin is trying to get to the bottom of the deaths; all the while struggling with his own tragic past and attempting to figure out where the twins play a part in the whole thing. I mostly remember Jones from comedic roles such as Bedazzled and Evolution. It took me a while to warm up to his character here, but in the end I felt that it was a part that fit him well.
Seconds Apart is a good horror movie. There's enough gore to satisfy the gore-hounds, enough suspense for the easily frightened and enough black humor for the rest of us. The biggest crime the film commits is that it doesn't try for greatness. It's too bad, they were so very close.
John Mountain   http://jmountswritteninblood.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/jmountwib please follow :D (wasn't sure what that meant so I copied all of it)
FB

No comments:

Post a Comment