Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Alum Brings Job Advice

Every expert learned somewhere, and Western Illinois University alumni Paul Rega learned his lessons at the unemployment office. Now, Rega will share his experiences with students with his new book "How To Find A Job When There Are No Jobs."
Author of one of Amazon's Top 100 job hunting books, and president of Paul J. Rega & Associates, Rega hopes that his collection of personal stories and insight of the business world can provide some form of guidance for college students wondering what comes after graduation.
Rega is also a well-known research professional and career coach, and is passionate about having the opportunity to shed light on the dark areas of establishing a career. Rega describes his book as the book he wishes he had after graduating.
Rega graduated from Western in 1981 with a degree in biology, and like many college students, he was unsure of how he could find his place - a question which was emphasized months later when he found himself sitting in an unemployment office in Illinois. Now, the head of his own executive search firm and author of one of the top job-hunting books available, Rega recalls what got him through the earlier stages of his journey.
"As I was sitting in the unemployment office, this elderly gentleman leans across the desk he was sitting behind, and gave me probably the best piece of advice I've ever received. He said to me, ‘Push on, no matter how disgusting," Rega said with a laugh.
Rega faced both adversity and triumph. His first job with Fisher Scientifics established the Self Defense Academy still operating in Macomb today, but his career also had a moment where he lost all of the employees of his business firm.
"The one thing I would tell students now is to not let yourselves get discouraged. I'm going to be honest, there are going to be times where the bulk of people you are trying to find employment with won't get back to you," Rega said. "The one thing I would tell students looking for work after graduating is to go after what you're interested in. Don't just take a job as a truck driver if that's not what you want to do, because you'll be doing it for a very long time.
"If anything, I would suggest working part-time to work towards your goals for the future," he added.
Fourteen years in the making, "How To Find A Job When There Are No Jobs" covers a variety of topics from Rega's personal perspective. The book offers in-depth explanations of how to develop a resume, the importance of having an education, utilizing social media, how the business world functions and other topics of interest.
"This book is something you can pick up on right away, and I think it would be a great help to any student trying to pursue their post-graduation goals," Rega said.
Readers can follow @Paul Rega on twitter
Paul Rega
First pinted in The Western Courier

    4 comments:

    1. I've had the distinct pleasure of reading this book. It is a must have for anyone over the age of 18. I was a little shaky on reading it as I'm not fond of How to books, but this books is unlike any I have read before. It's easy to follow and it truly feels as if the writer has written it just for you. I will be purchasing this book for my daughter this year as she is starting early college.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I am self employed and at first I thought this book would not have much to offer me as I am not a "company employee." But now I think there may be something here for me after all.
      Thanks Paul and Siggy.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Van---I think so as it is as much about a journey as it is about career search.

        Delete